Déjà vu – Wednesday night, Season 5 of Lost opened with a fantastical scene that took us straight back to the S2 opener. Faceless man gets out of bed, turns on record player, fiddling around in kitchen… But this time it’s a baby bottle on the stove and it’s not our beloved Desmond, but the one and only Marvin Candle! Who knew he had such paternal tendencies!? He also apparently is not much of a morning person. At any rate, I was hooked straight away..
What we(I) learned:
- It doesn’t take much to get Kate running again and the forces that be that want her back on the island know that too.
- Daniel was on the island in the 70's - cool.
- Ben is an interventionist much to Jack’s dismay. I found myself grinning like a Cheshire cat when Ben’s response to Jack’s inquiry about his pills was simply stated ‘I flushed them, Jack’. But one has to wonder about Ben's sincerity when he says that they'll never know what happened to those left behind. A truly puzzling statement.
- Hurley hearts shih-tzus. And he sees dead people and they give him really good advice which he repeatedly ignores. I loved that Anna Lucia manifested herself to pull a reckless Hurley over and lecture him on not getting pulled over. And 'Libby says hi' - tug! Even after that tho, our shih-tzu loving friend goes and gets himself arrested - like 'please sir, here I am, take me to jail please please please' - by the end of the episode.
- Poor shirtless Sawyer ‘Lost everyone he loved’ on the helicopter – one of the saddest lines of the night folks, seriously.
- Daniel’s mom is none other than the silver-haired Mrs. Hawking! Or did you already know that? Regardless, it was an ‘ah-ha’ moment for me.
- Charlotte is not long for this world and the closer she gets to death, the nicer she becomes, delving out the hugs to our favorite geeky scientist. Did she really tell Daniel not to 'dilly-dally?' Is this one of those things where the writers try to make a character likable before offing them? Nose-bleeds, headaches, amnesia... The girl is toast.
- The Left-behind Losties are skipping through time like a record. Wow. There, they've said it. Cat's outta the bag. Damon and Carlton are really going there, saying it loud, saying it proud. I love the idea and the illusion to the record but I get motion sick at the drop of a dime - getting old sucks - and if they continue their skipping and crazy time traveling like this, welp, it's not gonna be pretty. And apparently Charlotte's going to kick it if she doesn't find her constant soon.
- Sun doesn't blame Kate - or Jack for that matter - for Jin's death. She blames Ben. Really? I remember Kate was the one that told Sun to go back to the chopper with Aaron and and she would go get Jin. I remember Jack saying 'Keep going!' as Jin waved his arms frantically on the deck of the wired freighter while the chopper was taking off. And I totally remeber that 'you're-gonna-effing-pay' glare that she gave Jack after it hit her that Jin was indeed gone. One has to consider her motives for saying this to Widmore. Hmmm.
- Alpert is a time-traveling junkie! So it wasn't some suped-up Dharma anti-aging cream that had this island protector looking so lovely and wrinkle-free whether it be the 1950's with young a Locke and Ben or present day. This kid was not only skipping through time but he was skipping through places. I'm still anxious to see how they really do get to come and go from the island.
- Alpert also gave Locke a compass - was it the compass?
- So Desmond is special but WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?! According to Daniel you can't change or interfere with the past, fine. But then why does he bring past-Desmond out of the hatch and give him that list of 'to-do's', while remembering to exclaim 'YOU'RE SPECIAL DESMOND!'
- Hurley's dad (aka Cheech Marin) is a fan of Expose.
- Hurley's mom is awesome and hot-pockets can be used as weapons.
- Present-day dead Locke is being slugged around town in a 'weekend-at-Bernie's' kinda way. And now he's going in a meat locker. Interesting.
And to those of you who don't watch this show or have fallen off the wagon, then this recap must sound insane to you and may validate your reasons for not watching. But to those of you who do watch, well, I hope you enjoyed reading, for what it was worth. I know I missed a lot but who has the time to type and read all of it? Til next week...